18 July 2016
Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Book 1)
Genre: Teen and Young Adult
Recommended for awisls: Not Recommended
I had heard a lot of negative things about this book before I picked it up. I have to admit it wasn’t as bad as I had expected. It was just okay. This is one of those books which many seem to love, but which did absolutely nothing to me. I picked up Miss Peregrine when I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie. Here’s a fact: the movie seems to have very little in common with the book. But I’m not going to draw parallels now, especially when the movie hasn’t come out yet.
Let me just say why I didn’t like this book and move forward:
- I didn’t like the main protagonist. Jacob was 16 in the book, but very often it seemed to me that he was 12 or 13 at most. His behavior wasn’t like one of a 16 year old boy.
- Those who don’t like the book say it’s too much like X Men, but with kids. I didn’t have a problem with X Men similarities. But I didn’t like the peculiarities. To me they were uninteresting and unoriginal. A girl who ignites fire, an invisible boy, a very, very strong girl, a boy who sees the bad guys, etc.
- The cursing. I guess I’m old-fashioned, so to me words like “shit,” “bitch,” “asshole” have nothing to do in a YA book.
- I didn’t care about a single character. Not even about the bad guys. The goodies were boring, the baddies were underdeveloped.
- I also didn't buy the fact that the bad guys, given their background and lives, could have real-life jobs. Didn't seem plausible.
- The ending. Or should I say the lack of ending? While not exactly a cliffhanger, the ending felt rushed, as if the author wanted the story just to be over, so he could work on something more interesting.
I don’t know if I’ll check the movie when it comes out. But I will definitely not read the rest of the series. Just not for me.
Miss Peregrine Ransom Riggs teen young adult
TagsDreamercialism short story Dune Frank Herbert sci-fi classic terrible Abracadabra witchcraft academy book 1 chapter 1 Abracadabra witchcraft academy book 1 prologue Abracadabra witchcraft academy new book Bazaar of Bad